Few of you subscribed to email Notification but didn't confirm for this service from Inbox, Click on Verify Link in Inbox/Junk folder else you will not receive mail about new port in your Inbox. For those who are not aware of this , check bottom of this post.
Yesterday we discussed about Overview of 10g Application Server (Fusion middleware), If you missed that post you can now check it at
Industry has started talking about Fusion Middleware & Oracle recently certified 10g Application Server (Portal 10.1.4) with Oracle E-Business Suite so I am discussing overview of Application Server part of Fusion Middleware Family.
Overview of 10g Application Server
10g Application Server Consist of Infrastructure Tier & Middle Tier
What is Infrastructure Tier ?
Infrastructure Tier provides Infrastructure Services to 10g Application Server & consist of following technical components
- Database -> To Store User/Applications Identity Data (Portal,Wireless,OID data)
- OID -> Oracle Internet Directory, to store User Credentials, Schema passwords, Application details & lot more ...
- HTTP Server -> This Web Server (OHS, Oracle HTTP Server) on Infra Tier is used to access SSO (Single Sign-On Server) & OIDDAS (OID Delegated Administrative Services)
- OC4J -> Oracle Container for J2EE (OC4J_Security for SSO), You have additional OC4J_OCA if you have OCA (Oracle Certifying Autority). OCA is Optional component in Infrastructure Tier
What is Middle Tier ?
Middle Tier is tier where application Server & applications logic resides. It consist of following Technical Components
- HTTP Server -> This OHS (Oracle HTTP Server) is separate from above OHS & this is OHS from where users access application Server like portal, wireless, j2ee
- OC4J -> These are container which provide place holder for j2ee or web applications . Applications are deployed on OC4J's. 10g AS comes with default OC4J name "home", you create more OC4J depending on your requirement
- Web Cache -> Web Cache acts as cache for fast response to web server.
Logical Services for Infrastructure Tier
Above was technical components of Infrastructure Tier , Logically Infrastructure Tier consist of Two main categories which are
What is Metadata Repository ?
MR is similar to Database Metadata & MR you can further classify as
Metadata repository for Products (Like Portal, Wireless, BI) This MR usually is user data. Lets assume I created some pages, documents in Portal or User entered some data in any application , such data when stored in database is called as Product MR
MR for OID - Oracle Internet Directory contain some data & data related to this , one can classify as MR for IM (as OID is part of Identity Management - discussed later)
MR for SSO - Oracle Single Sign-On data & schema definitions , one can classify as MR for IM (as SSO is part of IM)
So broadly there are three kind of MR (that's how I classify MR)
What is Identity Management ?
Logical Grouping of Services which help in Managing Identity is called as Identity Management.
Identity management Consist of following Services like (Discussed later in Detail)
- OID Oracle Internet Directory
- DAS Delegated Administrative Services
- DIP Directory Integration & Provisioning Services
- SSO Single Sign-On Service
- OCA Oracle Certifying Authority
Explanation of these Services, why they are required & one example of all these services ..
Plus how to Install 10g Application Server , Where to find Document .....
Coming in Future Posts...
If you don't understand what is OID, OIDDAS, DIP, SSO, MR or any other component at this minute don't worry . I'll discuss about them in future in detail.
Overview of 10g Application Server Installation
-- infrastructure & Middle Tier Should (MUST) be isntalled under separate Oracle Homes. Though they can be on Same Physical Machine or on different Machines
-- First you have to install Infrastructure Tier then only you can install Middle Tier
-- You can install Portal/Wireless or IM Repository in an existing database (Choose RepCA, Repository Creation Assistance tool for this option. If you are new to 10g AS skip this for time being as this is optional feature)
-- Before Installation, Make sure all prereq. are complete (Check installation Document mentioned at bottom of this page)
-- You can use eDelivery.oracle.com for software or use link http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/htdocs/devlic.html?=/technology/software/products/ias/htdocs/101202.html (Choose right version, suggestion 10.1.2.0.2 if this is Test as E-Business Suite is certified with Portal Version 10.1.4 )
-- For Portal 10.1.4 , you need 10.1.2.0.2 & then Upgrade portal to 10.1.4 (P.S. Portal version is different than Application Server Version)
Options in Installation
While Installing Infrastructure Tier, you will get three options
- Identity Management & Metadata Repository
- Identity Management only
- Metadata Repository only
If you are new select option 1 i.e. IM+MR as option 2 & 3 are for advanced configuration like Infrastructure on Multiple Machines
While Installing Middle Tier, you will again get three options
- J2ee & Webcache
- Portal & Wireless
- Business Intelligence & Forms
BI & Form type Installation include first two options so this selection will include all J2ee, Webcache, Portal, Wireless, BI & Forms
Portal & Wireless include first option so this selection will include J2ee, Webcache, Portal, Wireless
J2ee & Webcache will install only j2ee & webcache. So if you are not aware of at this minute what you want better select option three i.e. Business Intelligence & Forms
Installation Document mentioned below should be enough, if not leave comments & I'll post step by step installation of 10g Application Server.
It takes 5-6 hours installing 10g AS depending on your Server Capacity.
Installation Document from oracle for Application Server version 10.1.2.0.2 is available at
http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14099_19/getstart.htm . Select as per your Operating System