Overview of 10g Application Server
10g Application Server Consist of Infrastructure Tier & Middle Tier
What is Infrastructure Tier ?
Infrastructure Tier provides Infrastructure Services to 10g Application Server & consist of following technical components
- Database -> To Store User/Applications Identity Data (Portal,Wireless,OID data)
- OID -> Oracle Internet Directory, to store User Credentials, Schema passwords, Application details & lot more ...
- HTTP Server -> This Web Server (OHS, Oracle HTTP Server) on Infra Tier is used to access SSO (Single Sign-On Server) & OIDDAS (OID Delegated Administrative Services)
- OC4J -> Oracle Container for J2EE (OC4J_Security for SSO), You have additional OC4J_OCA if you have OCA (Oracle Certifying Autority). OCA is Optional component in Infrastructure Tier
What is Middle Tier ?
Middle Tier is tier where application Server & applications logic resides. It consist of following Technical Components
- HTTP Server -> This OHS (Oracle HTTP Server) is separate from above OHS & this is OHS from where users access application Server like portal, wireless, j2ee
- OC4J -> These are container which provide place holder for j2ee or web applications . Applications are deployed on OC4J's. 10g AS comes with default OC4J name "home", you create more OC4J depending on your requirement
- Web Cache -> Web Cache acts as cache for fast response to web server.
Logical Services for Infrastructure Tier
Above was technical components of Infrastructure Tier , Logically Infrastructure Tier consist of Two main categories which are
What is Metadata Repository ?
MR is similar to Database Metadata & MR you can further classify as
Metadata repository for Products (Like Portal, Wireless, BI) This MR usually is user data. Lets assume I created some pages, documents in Portal or User entered some data in any application , such data when stored in database is called as Product MR
MR for OID - Oracle Internet Directory contain some data & data related to this , one can classify as MR for IM (as OID is part of Identity Management - discussed later)
MR for SSO - Oracle Single Sign-On data & schema definitions , one can classify as MR for IM (as SSO is part of IM)
So broadly there are three kind of MR (that's how I classify MR)
What is Identity Management ?
Logical Grouping of Services which help in Managing Identity is called as Identity Management.
Identity management Consist of following Services like (Discussed later in Detail)
- OID Oracle Internet Directory
- DAS Delegated Administrative Services
- DIP Directory Integration & Provisioning Services
- SSO Single Sign-On Service
- OCA Oracle Certifying Authority
Explanation of these Services, why they are required & one example of all these services ..
Plus how to Install 10g Application Server , Where to find Document .....
Coming in Future Posts...
Important Note :
Subscribe for Updates Via Email
Now you can subscribe to this Blog via email : Check on right Menu Bar of Page under E-mail Subscription enter your email ID & click on "subscribe". It will open new window to verify (If pop up blocker is enabled , allow for this session)You have to type text message displayed on pop up window , "click on complete subscription".
Final step is to Verify in your mail box that you only asked for Subscription.
Go to your inbox , you should see a mail with Subject "Activate your Email Subscription to:.. "
Open that mail & click on link like
If you don't see this mail in your inbox then check your Junk eMail Folder
Relax & you will get notification in your mail box as soon I post new Topic here .